Check out the “exclusive beta” on CNET’s News.com site. I stumbled onto the site today and had the following opinions on one of my daily reads:
– Interesting use of color (black) which is in stark contract to the “old” CNET yellow and red makeup.
– Interesting in that there is no real ad footprint in the masthead (other than some text link)?
– Surprising in that they are not teasing out other CNET or CBS properties (a la the hat at AOL or DJ Online which helps with SEO and brand promotion).
– Footer is crisp and highly structured with lack of clutter with tight column format.
– Three column approach is easy to read. Two editorial holes with far right ad column seperates and makes the experience navigable.
– Always a fan of the GreenTech and photo gallery offerings.
– Just In module a bit confusing (by time stamp presumably)?
– Seemingly more prominence for their blog efforts.
– A consumer of their Media channel, this has been dropped to the sub-navigation? Wonder if that was usage based, or other rationale (low CPM, etc) pushing it down in lieu of other opportunities?